Sunday, April 2, 2023

Cats "Easy Enchilada Casserole"

 Hey y'all.... Hope you're having a great weekend. I know Sunday blessings are wonderful but for some reason instead of enjoying today I start thinking of the week ahead. I'm getting better as I get older to "try" and enjoy the moment. Tomorrow will come but make today as memorable as possible. We recently lost our Mom-in-law. She was very dear to us and will be very missed. When a loved one passes it really hits home to cherish everyday.... every moment. I wanted to share a recipe that my grandson loves. It's so easy especially if you have a hectic week ahead with kiddos activities. This is a no-fuss recipe. I cut the corn tortillas in half and layer in casserole dish. You can totally roll the tortillas, but layering is so easy. Freezer friendly, make ahead and freeze in a "freezer-friendly-container." I even did a spin on my Spanish rice to save time as well. Oh did I mention...this is also using the other "half" of my "shredded chicken tip" on previous post. :-) These easy recipes that I've been sharing are so dear to me. My grandson Davin had a "list" that he wanted in his cookbook, so I hope you enjoy! 

Blessed Cooking from my Home to Yours,

Cat

Follow on Facebook & Pinterest

Instagram @ihearditthroughthequiltvine

www.ihearditthroughthequilt-vine.blogspot.com


Here's all you need...

* about 10 corn tortillas (varies depending on casserole pan size) Cut in half.

* 1 1/2-2 cups of shredded chicken (see previous tip)

* 1-10oz. can of Old El Paso red enchilada sauce ( I use mild)

* 1-16oz. can of Bush's Chili & Beans (pinto beans-mild) do not drain...great flavor :-)

* 1 cup Pace Avocado Salsa (mild)

* 1-cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese

* 5 oz. Queso Fresco (crumble for topping)

* pkg. Knorr Mexican rice (recipe below)

Here's all you do...

* Pre-heat oven to 375*

* Spray your casserole dish w/cooking spray (easy clean-up)

* Spread enchilada sauce on bottom of pan....(just enough to cover bottom of pan.)

* Cut tortillas in half ( I do about 5 at a time so I don't waste any...you can always make chips later :-)

Layer as follows...

* Layer cut tortillas in pan as desired (I go up sides then down the middle)

* 1/2 of shredded chicken

* !/2 of chili beans

* 1/2 of Colby Jack cheese

* Drizzle 1/2 of Enchilada sauce on top

* then a layer of 1/2 c. Avocado salsa.

Repeat Layers as above.

* Top w/ crumbled Queso Fresco

That's it :-) Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes (ovens vary)

Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until casserole is heated thoroughly.

Tip...I place my casserole dish on a "baking dish" to remove in/out of the oven :-)


Tip...when I "uncover" the casserole to bake for an additional 15 minutes that's when I start the Spanish rice. 

I make the Knorr Spanish rice as directed on package, but I substitute the water with low-sodium Chicken broth & half of a bell pepper chopped finely...2 TB. tomato paste and some chopped cilantro.

You can make your rice from "scratch" but this is a great time-saving tip. 

Enjoy & talk soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

~Sending you thanks and blessings from my home to yours