Friday, August 13, 2021

"Cat's Rustic Chicken Pot Pie"

 Hey everyone....hope y'all are having a great week. Mine has been pretty amazing. I'm with my daughter's family and spending time with my grandson. It's sweet watching them grow up but it also kills me. I've gone from "Gege" to "G'g". I'm not even sure how to spell it but that's what I'm called....well...right now anyway. He's even made "me" breakfast a few times already. Now that I was totally fine with :-) Being a "Gege" has been one of the greatest joys in my life and I cherish every moment when possible. 

I wanted to share this chicken pot pie with y'all. It's a family staple and mostly because it's super easy to do. It  does have a few calories in the recipe but I'm sure you can replace some ingredients to your needs. Don't let the "latice" intimidate you....I do this technique but if you know me it's super easy. All you do is take your fingers and "pinch" the strips throughout once you have finished weaving the pie strips. I do this because I for one never get my strips even when slicing. I do use a "pizza cutter" which does help. This technique is perfect for any pies. Trust me...you'll get lots of compliments & nobody needs to know how easy it was...except us! This is also a great recipe to feed a crowd....take to functions & freezes well. Enjoy!

Blessed Cooking from My Home to Yours,

Cat

email q's cmhdesigns2@yahoo.com

Follow on Pinterest & Facebook

also www.ihearditthroughthequilt-vine.blogspot.com




Here's all you need...
1 Box of Pillsbury Pie Crust -thawed (don't judge) :-)
1 can cream of celery soup or cream of chicken ( I use low sodium)
1/2 cup of milk ( I use low fat)
1/2 cup of Low Sodium Chicken broth
1 1/2 -2 cups of Cooked Shredded Chicken ( I bought already shredded in Deli...remember it's easy!)
1 cup of your favorite veggies....( I keep it simple....frozen corn...peas & green beans)
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
1-2 Tb. of Worcestershire Sauce
1 egg ( for egg wash on crust)
Coarse Salt (optional for crust)
Salt & Pepper to taste or your favorite seasonings

Here's all you do....
Preheat oven to 375*
Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil (catch any drippage)
Lightly spray a "spring form pan (this is why pie is so thick :-)
Place one thawed pie crust on botton of pan and smooth up the edges.
Pinch bottom with fork a few times
Sprinkle bottom with bread crumbs
Whisk together soup....milk....broth....add shredded chicken & veggies....blend well & pour into pan.
Sprinkle with cheese & more bread crumbs if desired
Now...cut your pie crust into strips & do the latice design on top...crimping edges together. Remember no worries...go back & pinch at every other section....so easy & remember it's a rustic pie :-)
Make egg wash (egg mixed with a bit of water) & lightly brush over pie crust strips.
Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
TIP...lay a pie crust shield over crust to prevent burning. If you don;t have one just cut some strips of aluminium foil and wrap the edges.
Bake on cookie sheet for about 30 minutes then lower oven temp to 350* for about another 15-20 minutes (ovens vary so check during this process)
Remove from oven a let cool a bit to set up.
Slice with a sharp knife and serve with a cake/pie server.
Serve along side a side salad or do a "throw back" in time & serve with applesauce. 
Note....if you do freeze pie...wrap completely in foil & let thaw in fridge before cooking. Remove foil & wrap the edges as above before cooking. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

~Sending you thanks and blessings from my home to yours