Friday, May 31, 2024

Suppers on the Porch.."Cats Texas Cornbread Casserole"

 Hey y'all...hope everyone is doing well especially with this crazy weather we're having. I know previously I stated that I wouldn't talk about the weather but it's been nuts. I pray every morning for safety for all and strength for those that are dealing with devastation. I just can't imagine. They need everyone's thoughts and prayers. Then tomorrow starts hurricane season. Yes...third season for me and last year I stated..."never again." I'm trying hard to make the right buying decision but this crazy houseing market isn't helping. I'm "stress-eating" ..."stress-sewing" you name it...it's happening! Least with my sewing/quilting I can't gain weight :-) I do enjoy cooking no matter what's going on in my life. Cooking does calm me plus I love putting a twist on my original recipes making them health-r.  My sweet Grandson is keeping me focused but sometimes you do need a "comfort dinner." The recipe I'll be sharing w/y'all today is a favorite in my family. I combined the love of Texas Mexican food but with a twist for a fast dinner for those hectic evenings. Summer is about to begin...the kiddos are home & hungry. You have activities probably everyday with the kiddos so a fast recipe is a must. Believe me...I remember those days. Remember to adjust any recipies to your dietary needs and your families likes or dislikes. Due to my health restraints I tend to suppliment red meat with ground chicken or turkey. Oh before I forget...we have a lot of exciting projects happening over on my quilt blog. So check it out when you have a moment. I'll be featuring home decor projects & great projects to teach the kiddos to sew this summer. In fact...the casserole is resting on my "Party-Point Trivet"...you know me it's all about "fun-ctional decor." Also, if you follow me on "Pinterest" I share inspirational designs/projects from fellow quilter's too. My quilt blog link is on upper right of home page along with my discount link to Missouri Star Quilt Company for sewing/crafting/quilting supplies. As always...I thank y'all so much for following. Hope you enjoy this recipe on the porch or inside :-) 

Blessed Cooking from My Home to Yours,

Cat

MSQC Affiliate

Paid Partnership w/MSQC

Follow me on Instagram...Facebook & Pinterest (links on home page)

Cats Texas Cornbread Casserole...


Here's all you need...

* 1 pkg Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread Mix

* 1/2 cup milk 

* 1 egg

* 1/2 lb. ground chicken or your choice of meat.

* 2 Tb. Taco Seasoning

* 1 (10.oz.) pkg Fresco Cheeze (mexican Crumble Cheese)

* 1 (15 oz). can Bush's Black Beans (rinse/drain)

* 1 (10 oz). can each of Old El Paso Mild  Red & Green Enchilada Sauce.

* 2-3 small red/green peppers

* Pinch of Humor :-)

Here's all you do...

* Preheat oven to 375*

* Prepare large crock...spray bottom/sides with non-stick cooking spray.

* Make cornbread per package directions.

* Fill Crock with cornbread mix and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Ovens vary & crocks cook faster.

Tip... While cornbread is cooking... cook ground chicken in peppers and season with Taco Seasoning. Set aside.

* Carefully remove cornbread from oven & poke tiny holes in cornbread.

* Layer on top of cornbread 1/2 of meat....Beans...1/4 c each of the Enchillada Sauces...then cheese.

* Repeat layers and end with "crumbled cheese on top" as much as you desire :-)

Note...I don't use all of the Enchillada sauce due to using 2 different kids and it prevents casserole from being too juicy. 

* Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.

* Uncover and bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. (ovens vary)

Carefully remove from oven...let cool a bit...juice will set as it rests.

Serve on your "trivet" along with a side salad & enjoy!

Talk soon!

Cat





No comments:

Post a Comment

~Sending you thanks and blessings from my home to yours